Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Spaghetti Squash w/ zucchini, black beans





I don't like to eat carbs much...or at least I try to avoid them.

Not the best advice for a Runner of course.

However, I am insulin resistant and sensitive to carbs so I try to keep my intake of them in check with some form of moderation. I have begun to understand for me what affects my blood sugars and causes me to either gain quickly or retain.

It's a balance as a PCOS sufferer and runner.

We need carbohydrates because that is what our muscles use till our body's tap into stored fuel while in an anaerobic state. Once you have been running and the muscles wake up and tap into the aerobic mode then you will begin to burn body fat stored as fuel and not the precious sugars inside your muscle. Once that is used that is why you would grow weaker in the leg (stiff, sluggish, etc) if you keep your pace slower and you train for your endurance through time this fatigue will lesson and your muscles will get stronger (smarter!) that lactic acid gets cycled through more quickly and your muscles learn to burn that glycogen more efficiently and even learns how to store more of it...more muscles fibers...more glycogen.. etc!

So anyways. How much carbs? Oh Boy the Golden Question. You want my Golden Answer? How much do you weigh...that is how much you'll need to eat. Before as a carb load to restore those muscle sugars and after to restore them (recovery....within a half hour after completing exercise)

Tonight my Runner Boy had tortellini for carbs with a great pasta sauce!

I made Spaghetti Squash with grilled zucchini and black beans

1 spaghetti squash, cut in half wrapped in foil, baked for 45min or till soft, scoop out seeds and take your fork and shred out the squash...boom...just like pasta!

Then take some black beans, fresh diced tomato, olive oil, grilled zucchini, freshly chopped garlic, fresh chopped basil and red whine vinegar (p.s. if you have none of this...don't tweak...just roll with it, as it will still taste yummy!) sea salt to taste. I mixed all those veggies/beans with the oil and threw it over the squash...WALLA....EASY!

Calories:219
Carbs:34
Fat:8
Protein:12
Fiber:8

No comments:

Post a Comment