Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Almond Milk & Almond Butter


I love Coffee!

I love adding tsp of sugar and 2tblsp of half and half to my coffee=35 calorie treat 2-4 times a day. My Empty calorie Treat!

So what if I try this and I fall in love with it and I find that it's healthier for me? I say SCORE!

Almond milk is made by mixing ground almonds with water and straining it to remove almond skins and sediment. Almond milk has been used since the Middle Ages as a substitute for cow's milk. Because cow's milk doesn't keep very long without refrigeration, medieval people processed it into butter and cheese right away to preserve it. They used almond milk in cooking and baking, since it's easier to store

Compared to cow's milk, almond milk is the much healthier choice. Almond milk contains a wide variety of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function. Almond milk also contains high levels of antioxidants, so it can help prevent many types of cancer and slow the signs of aging. Almond milk is also great for those who can't drink cow's milk due to lactose intolerance (THAT'S ME!!) or a casein or gluten allergy; however, those with tree nut allergies should avoid almond milk because it could elicit a dangerous allergic reaction!!

almond milk is free of both saturated fat and cholesterol, making it a healthier choice, especially for those with heart problems.

To my Peeps trying to get protein...then be sure to drink your milk cause that does have more protein than almond milk!

RECIPE:
1 cup of almonds soak them for 6-8 hours, shell them. Drain the water and add to your magic bullet (processor) then add 2 cups of water, 1/2 tblsp honey, 2tblsp of sugar (or 1 tblsp if you want for sweetness) then blend together. Sift your mix into a canning jar for storage! that easy! I actually strained mine twice!

I then took the Almond paste and added tblsp of olive oil and mixed it. Now I have almond butter that I can use for shakes, toast, etc!

A great thing you can do also is spread your almond paste onto parchment paper and bake it till crisp...then add to your yogurt&fresh fruit!

Unsweetened 8oz Glass nutritional facts:

No comments:

Post a Comment