Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2012

One Squash 3 Recipes~ spaghetti squash, squash cake, squash soup

I bought one Squash for like $2.00 at the Farm. It was a nice size Squash probably about 4 lbs

I cut it in half after cleaning it and baked it till soft at 350' degrees in my oven.

I took the entire insides of the squash and pureed (tedious for me I used my magic bullet)

Once I had my squash pureed I took 3/4ths of the squash and added 6 oz organic tomato paste, onion powder, onion powder, sea salt, pepper (pinch to your liking)

Took 1 cup of the mix and used it as Butternut Squash sauce for my Spaghetti Squash. I took a small spaghetti squash and cooked it with my Butternut Squash and that fed myself and my husband.Creating 1 cup of Spaghetti squash & 1/2 cup of the Butternut Squash Sauce on top.



 
Took the remainder of that sauce mix and started to blend some non fat milk into it (could use any source of liquid to loosen the sauce) and then added some whole wheat clean crackers to it.
Then I took that remaining 1/4 pureed squash that was still plain, I started to add stuff to it to make a baked goody from it! how can you go wrong? Well I could of gone super clean avoided sugar but I went ahead and rationed table sugar and added.
 
2 cups of Squash
1 cup of Raw Organic Cane Sugar
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of nutmeg
2 egg whites
2 cups of unbleached flour
1 cup of stone ground whole wheat flour
tsp of baking soda
 
 
Drizzled Honey over it and topped with a couple of walnuts!


 
I want to encourage you all to experiment in the kitchen. It does not take amazing culinary skills or even any at all to blend all natural food products together for a great taste (or even just a modest taste) I'm always creative, some flump, some flop and for exmpale how many times have you heard or ate squash cake? lol I have not but I did it anyways! where is the rule book? There are none!~ So I dare you to buy a veggie and explore!
 
 
 
More About ButterNut Squash, Loving Information borrowed from WholeLiving.com

Health BenefitsLow in fat, butternut squash delivers an ample dose of dietary fiber, making it an exceptionally heart-friendly choice. It provides significant amounts of potassium, important for bone health, and vitamin B6, essential for the proper functioning of both the nervous and immune systems. The folate content adds yet another boost to its heart-healthy reputation and helps guard against brain and spinal-cord-related birth defects such as spina bifida.
Squash's tangerine hue, however, indicates butternut's most noteworthy health perk. The color signals an abundance of powerhouse nutrients known as carotenoids, shown to protect against heart disease. In particular, the gourd boasts very high levels of beta-carotene (which your body automatically converts to vitamin A), identified as a deterrent against breast cancer and age-related macular degeneration, as well as a supporter of healthy lung development in fetuses and newborns. What's more, with only a 1-cup serving, you get nearly half the recommended daily dose of antioxidant-rich vitamin C.
As if this weren't enough, butternut squash may have anti-inflammatory effects because of its high antioxidant content. Incorporating more of this hearty winter staple into your diet could help reduce risk of inflammation-related disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and asthma.

No comments:

Post a Comment