Are you Detoxing from A Holiday or Emotional Eating Binge or perhaps you are just starting your journey and want a place to begin?
Detoxification is about resting, cleaning and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health. Here are some key ways to get to your best self.
- Sleep- Ensure you are are getting optimal rest so your cells can rejuvenate this happens during sleep. Research suggest that 7-9hrs of sleep a night is necessary for optimal health.
- Hydration- Flush your System. Do not just drink what you always do. Pay close attention to your water intake and up it a bit more. If you typically drink 70 oz a day aim for 90 to help flush out toxins.
- Green Tea- Stimulate the liver to drive out toxins with Green anti-oxidant tea. Green tea is best consumed 3x daily for greatest detoxification. Research suggests that you must let the tea brew for several minutes in very hot water ensuring you dip the tea bag up and down several times get out the flavenoids and antioxidants. Research also suggest that you drink the tea hot to get it's fullest benefit.
- Leafy Green Veggies- Refueling with healthy nutrients. Find creative ways to add into shakes and all your meals. You can add fresh spinach to almost anything with no real impact on flavor (only color) Kale & Spinach are your power foods in this department.
- Cardiovascular Sweat Session- Whether you run, bike or speed walk it's time to get sweating. Extra sodium gets stored and it retains water. Most especially if you are a new person in the journey the more you sweat in your first week the greater your weight loss that week. You can lose as much as 5-25lbs in just one week if you do it right! If you are losing and maintaining and coming off your bender/holiday then simply get back to your normal routine the very next day. The water/sodium may take 1-4 days to come off but ensure the rest of this list and you could return in just one day.
- Eat Lighter - cutting your food intake rests your intestinal system so it can process all the extra food you ate. Do NOT starve. Don't NOT eat. Do not startle and scare your metabolism from binge to starvation. You will slow your metabolism quickly and the rebound weight will hold on tightly. Instead go back to your normal eating with small cutbacks on the little things you would normally have. (For example you have a popcorn every night, perhaps this time you skip the popcorn and eat nothing)
- Concentrate on Protein- Most everything that people tend to over eat on is simple, refined sugars. Take special note to drastically reduce your carbohydrate intake for 1-2 days and then resume back to complex carbohydrates.
- Reduce the Sodium in your diet- Improve the circulation of your blood; you likely ate enough in your Holiday or Binge to hold you over for a couple days.
- Avoid the scale for up to 3-5 days- that is if you can't handle the truth. Most often as much as the number dismays you it's also great to see how eating like that impacts your body. Being tuned into exactly how your reacts is actually integral part of your journey. Learn your body
- Take a Hot Bath - Soak away the toxins with Rest. Not only will you reduce the stress levels in your body you will purify your skin. Hot baths can actually help speed up your metabolism as well.
- Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fat
- Cut your Stress ~ Reducing Stress will lower your Cortisol Levels which promotes fat storage
- Yoga or Gentle Exercise to open up your lymphatic system cleansing your insides
- Herbs like dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle can aid in detoxing the liver
- Sweat in a Sauna-
- Prayer- Nothing will trump the power of God. Rest yourself in his arms and Glory. Ask him for Strength in your journey to maintain control and keep the power of anything unto him only.