I know all about Cold Weather Running Living in Central New York!
|I train as much as I can outside in the winter; my first winter Running I spent a lot of miles inside (I was still a wuss!) LOL|
|Enjoy the Beauty of our Winters & Cold. Few & Far between when they can be this Pretty!|
|THEN......THERE ARE NASTY WINTRY DAYS LIKE THIS....UGH|
|RUNNING A HALF IN A FULL ON BLIZZARD...WOW!!!|
|We Ran a Half in a Blizzard and WOW~ What A Warrior Memory!|
So Lets Talk about GEAR!!!
What to Wear Head to toe!
Head: Fleece Hat, head wrap, or Ninja Mask (the Head mask is GREAT for those with asthma and very sensitive lungs to the cold, you breath through a neoprene fabric and it will warm the air before you breath and will help keep you out there longer!
Body: Triple Layers for anything below Freezing
Wicking base layer (pulls sweat away from your skin)
Warm Layer (trap moisture, adds layer for warmth
Outer Protection Layer (keeps your middle layer dry from Elements) cuts the wind
Thermal Compression Pants
Outer Protection Layer (keeps the compression thermal base layer dry) Cuts the wind
Be Economic and go with Effective Lower Name Brand Compressions Like Asics for Half the cost! Free Shipping Here with Sports Authority
Gloves: Two pair in Deep freeze- neoprene thin and fleece outer protection glove
Cold Gear Socks- Wicks the water away from the foot
Smart Wool- Keeps your feet Warm & dry
Goretex Running Shoes- the protective shoe keeps your feet dry in wet rain/slush/snow
(plastic bags) you can place your socked foot in a plastic shopping bag and then put in running shoe to keep your feet dry & warm! (trust me it works!)
Ghost 4 GTX just $78.98 with BrooksRunning! RunHappy!
Screw Shoes- http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
Tips for my Thrifty!
- Shop Outlet Malls for Greater Discounts
- If you are Military or Law Enforcement ask them if they take discounts
- Shop Liquidation stores like "Marshalls" for discounted gear
- Shop Thrift stores for gently used gear
- check E-bay or your local craigslist
- Don't freak out when you are investing in your expensive Running Gear it will keep for YEARS!
- Don't get caught up int he notion that you 'have' to use stereotypical running jackets (they are so expensive!! upwards of 200-300 hundred dollars) I use a Cold Gear Under Armour wind/rain proof Hoody with a base layer and Love it! $65!
- I use not so fancy wool socks from the hunting section at Wal-mart ;-p yep, so sexy but they work!
Tips for my Bigger RunnerGirls
I can really value and understand the deep desire to not purchase high quality running clothing when you know that you are working toward outgrowing them quickly in your journey. So here are some quick tips to help you and keep you warm without huge investments. Go with at least a great base layer and use a large hoody as an outer layer. Use inexpensive thermal layer for pants with a pair of sweats as an outer layer.