Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Healthy, Clean Rice Crispy Treats


"Better Hurry up and take Pictures before they are all Gone" that's what my husband said as my 3 children (twin 4 year olds & 7 year old) destroy the pan of healthy, clean rice crispie treats!

Ok, true story I have been craving rice crispies this week. I wanted to make a snack bar with them for my athletes and fit girls. However I was listening to a friend talk about how she ate almost a half of pan of rice crispie treats! She felt guilt. Don't we all? Butter, marshmallow ontop of even more carbs!

So How can I make a recipe that I can give to myself as a treat and to my children without the guilt? I love a GREAT Recipe Rehab Challenge! Truth be told I've done had a Rice Crispie treat in the almost 4 years of my journey! Yes that long :) Well you know not only is marshmallow all sugar there is actually preservatives in it too. Many don't pay attention to that part of eating healthy or light.

I use coconut oil often in baking- it has less saturated fat vs butter. Plus research shows that Coconut oil has Lauric acid which  exhibits antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties. It acts by disrupting the lipid membranes in organisms like fungus, bacteria and viruses, thus destroying them

Ok enough banter- trust me these are so yummy!

Ingredients:
  • 4.5 cups of Gluten Free Organic brown rice crispie cereal *not puffs* (if you want - but go with at least a whole grain brown crispie rice cereal. There will be more fiber and you won't spike your blood sugar like refined white sugar.
  • 2/3 Cup of Coconut Oil
  • Teaspoon of Vanilla
  • 1/3 cup of brown rice syrup
  • 1/2 cup of honey
  • 3 tablespoon flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened finely shredded coconut
Directions:

  1. In large bowl pour in the rice crispies and flaxseed meal
  2. In sauce pan light warm up the coconut oil, brown rice syrup and honey and stir till coconut oil is liquid form
  3. Stir in the Vanilla and then pour the mixture onto the crispies
  4. Gently blend all the ingredients.
  5. Toss in the finely shredded coconut
  6. Pack mixture into a lightly greased pan and refrigerate for one hour or 30min in the freezer.
  7. If you want you can drizzle dark chocolate over the top - trust me if I had some this is what I would have done! Giggling.

Enjoy!  About 150calories each!

No comments:

Post a Comment