I know it's completely easy to say and sometimes harder to do. Bitterness is a feeling that even God has. There is something comforting to me knowing that all human emotion is something that God too has felt (Isaiah 22:4)
Bitterness involves feelings of anger, disappointment or having resentment.
Where does bitterness come from?
1) Bitterness follows unwanted experiences that involve setbacks, disappointments or failures.
2) Bitterness comes from believing that someone that hurt you did it with malice or intent or disregard for your feelings and or how you might have been affected.
3)You know you need to resolve bitterness if you find yourself thinking about the person/event and wished you could of said something or reacted differently. One of those typical "turn back time" moments!
4) A deep hurt or trauma that even you don't want reconciled so that the other person can suffer (Like you feel that have done to you) REVENGE!!!
5) Bitterness comes from unmet expectations. I personally think this the biggest source of bitterness for people. We expect specific reactions, commitments, loyalties and qualities in friendships, relationships, events that don't measure up to reality!
How Bitterness might be affecting your life
1) Sickness- I know ....don't freak out on me! LOL- but bitterness causes your body to experience stress and even on a physiological level cortisol a stress hormone is released during stress and that hormone can disrupt the normal functions of your immune system.....causing you sickness!
2) Inability to focus
3) Feeling vengeful
or speaking a cruse into someones life
4) Inability to move forward into current relationships over past hurts/traumas
5)Inability to connect with God like you used to (feeling spiritually emptier)
Bitterness and Your Spirit Life
It's not at all uncommon to hear other people talk about feeling bitter toward God for an undesired outcome toward a situation that they had prayed earnestly to God about.
I think more so there are other sensitive areas that bitterness can build up in your spiritual life that alludes you away from worship, prayer or fellowship. That is bitterness (strife, envy, wrath, debates, whisperings, gossip) inside your church or ministry. What is so important to remind yourself about this sensitive area where bitterness can cripple us, is that the Enemy would love more than anything for you to get caught up in this sinful spirit because it keeps you away from God! Are we under the power of sin or of Christ? “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness" Romans 3:14 and no one is exempt! However in Christ we are called to live outside the power of Sin and inside the Power of Jesus!
Redemption? Of course, through Christ, Jesus! ~ Amen ♥ Forgive! Move Forward!
"See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many"
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
So Now I challenge you to the TRUTH.......are you harboring bitterness in your heart?
But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.