You would be amused to hear how I come up with some of not so original creations. Sometimes inspired by a different recipe or simply because I'm craving something! Can you tell I was craving Coconut? ;-)
What I love to is avoid using flour as much as possible. It's so refined and so easy to digest that my body throws those cals right to my hiney (sorry hubby the toosh is big Enough!) truth it probably goes to my tummy....ugh..no Thanks!
Nothing like coming home from the grocery store and having your spouse look at you with a half smile. The down part of the smile wonders if what I'll create today is edible or will get thrown into the trash! tehehe. Thankfully he stopped asking how much I spend while I'm shopping :) Smart man!
Oh ok this will be friendly on the pocket book or I do hope anyways! Just imagine if you invest in healthy coconut products you can begin to exchange your butter and heavy saturated fats with a healthier option. Using coconut milks is great replacement for milk and almond water.
Coconut Fruit Bars
- 2 cups unsalted cashews
- 2/3 cup Agave
- 3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs *Optional* skip to make this Vegan
- 2/3 cup low fat coconut milk
- Jam Preserve (all natural no High Fructose Corn Syrup)
- 2/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup finely shredded UNSWEETENED coconut
- 1 cup coarsely cut sweetened coconut
- 2 tblsp coconut spread
- Grind the cashews down into flour/meal texture. I used my magic bullet and toss in the coconut milk to help it blend down into soft texture.
- Blend in Flaxseed meal
- In a big bowl blend together this mixture and start adding eggs (optional) agave, cinnamon, finely shredded unsweetened coconut, coconut spread.
- Lastly roll into the mixture the rolled oats
- Spread into a greased pan till it's about 1/2- 3/4 inch thick
- Take your most favorite Jam preserve and spread over the top of the mixture in the pan. Make this as thick as you want. This is where a lot of your sweetness comes into play so keep that in mind. the lighter this layer the lighter the sweetness. The thicker the more sweet your bars.
- Sprinkle and lightly push down the sweetened or more unsweetened coconut over the top of the jam.
- Bake for 15minutes at 350 Degrees
Seran these into individual portion sizes quickly for the week. Use them as a breakfast alternative as they offer healthy fats, protein and some complex carbs to keep your energy going for your morning. Use them as healthy snack alternatives. Careful they are addicting & tasty ;-) !!